The following is a guide that covers how to set up your new Opening Master database on your ChessBase software. The requirement for successful running and functioning we recommend you have ChessBase 6.0 and higher (pref. ChessBase 9.0 and higher) Here you can find an overview of the files included in the Opening Master release and instructions on installing and activating the database in your local environment.
Downloading the Opening Master database Files
All downloaded versions of popular chess databases require sort of membership. There are currently three kinds of memberships which you can register with - Free Membership, Gold Membership or Platinum Membership. It is solely up to you which you prefer. Each membership is explained in the registration process as well as at the download section. The first step is to download all of the files that will be needed to install your Opening Master chess database, OM custom databases such as Correspondence Chess DB, OM 2300+, as well other smaller modifications or trees. Here is a quick explanation of each of the available files in the Opening Master release.
• Opening Master GOLEM (e.g. OM 1.0.1.cbv) This file is the complete package you will use to install your full database with 8.7 millions of games played by humans only and de-duplicated so you shall not find any same game twice. There are also smaller files available to download in compressed format (.rar) which you then need to de-compress in your folder destination
• Opening Master Correspondence Chess DB (OM Corr DB.cbv) This package contains the largest collection of the correspondence chess (e.g. ICCF) with more than 1,2 million games. This database is under Gold and above memberships.
• OM GM.FM (OM GM.FM.cbv) This cbv contains the world chess leaders, Grand Masters and FIDE Masters according to chess associations.
• Portal Database (OM Portal DB.cbv) This database contains a collection of portal games played on famous www chess portals. However be aware, many times the games are played with nick names and tournaments are not official listed. On the other hand very useful tool to learn specific players who participate on these tournaments. This database is with free membership
• OM OTB (OM OTB.cbv) This extract of the Opening Master contains only OTB players. A true quality of the games with 6.4 million human games.
Step 1 - Downloading file
After you register go to download section of the site. Choose a specific plan which you prefer to download and click on the purchase plan under. Once you pay via paypal you will receive a special invitation to clould shared folder hosted on SugarSync. The invitation shall come within 24 hours but usually comes in few hours. Once we verify the subscription the access to the folder come to your email address. You will see all the necessary files there. If you subscribed to Platinum and Gold the databases are in CBV Format. If you have Silver pack, the databases are in CBF (older format) which are good for EXACHESS and thus you can use it with MACs. If you have Bronze plan you will see Chess Assistant files and when you have Blue Plan you will have PGN files which are good for open source SCID program.
Step 2 - Making the OM database work under ChessBase
The easiest way is to locate the file on your HDD where you downloaded it and double click on the file. (picture 2 below) Or if you prefer to go to ChessBase first, then go to File > Open > Open Database or directly find the file via left hand explorer panel in CB. This will pull up database onto your workspace (right panel) from where you can navigate and analyze the games, making trees, create reports and so on. (for detailed tutorials on ChessBase, please refer to a separate section)
Step 3 -Extracting the .cbv file on workspace and making a 'reference database'
Once you are on the ChessBase double click on the added icon and wait few minutes until the .cbv file fully extracts itself (see picture3). Once this is done, the last step before we are finished is making the database as ''reference database''. This means for all analyses of openings, games, reports, trees, ChessBase will use Opening Master DB as chess ''default knowledge base''. (picture 4). Installing is done, we should see OM on your workspace. (picture 5)